After being hospitalized in March following a reported attempt to take her own life, Kehlani is back on tour and performing once again. During a recent concert in the Bay Area, the 21-year-old singer paused the show to deliver an emotional speech about mental health and suicide prevention. “You know I’m very honest with the people that support me. It wasn’t a first time thing and that’s not okay…for anyone,” she said. “[Depression] is something that so many young people are dealing with. And so many young people just slip under the rug.”
She went on to speak about helping those who are suffering from mental illness. “If you have a friend and they’re scaring you a little, just love them. Hug them and love them up and tell them that it’s good, okay?,” she said. “And from me to you, you are worth it, you are perfect, you need to be here every single day that you are meant to be here. Get up every day and know that and tell yourself that.”
Watch the full video below.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving