The U.S. Coast Guard is searching for a woman who fell overboard on a Carnival cruise ship early Friday morning.
Officials said security footage captured Samantha Broberg, 33, falling overboard on the Carnival Liberty around 2 a.m. on Friday, the Houston Chronicle reported.
“We are shocked and deeply saddened by the incident that occurred on the Carnival Cruise Ship,” Broberg’s family said in a statement, the Chronicle reported. “We hope and pray the U.S. Coast Guard is able to bring Samantha home. We ask for privacy as our family comes together during this difficult time.”
The ship is located about 195 miles off the coast of Galveston, Texas. Broberg, a mother to four children, was reported missing by travel companions, Carnival officials said in a statement, and the U.S. Coast Guard is now searching for her in the area where the ship was located when she was last seen, according to the Chronicle.
The ship left Galveston on Thursday for a four-day cruise to Mexico.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart