McDonald’s is testing using fresh meat for its hamburger patties rather than frozen.
According to USA Today, the fast-food chain is already testing fresh meat in 14 locations in the Dallas area in Texas. The new fresh patties are made from the same grade beef as the frozen ones.
The test has been going on since November, but McDonald’s spokesperson Lisa McComb told USA Today that it’s still too early to draw any conclusions.
“Like all of our tests, this one, too, is designed to see what works and what doesn’t within our restaurants,” she said.
McDonald’s is also testing garlic fries in the San Francisco area.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Tessa Berenson at tessa.Rogers@time.com