New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski will appear on the cover of the video game Madden NFL ’17 — the first player from his team to receive what has become an accolade in the realm of American sports.
The news was announced Thursday night on ESPN’s SportsCenter. On the program, Gronkowski described it as a “dream come true.”
“When I first found out, I was blessed,” he said. “It was a surreal moment.”
Gronkowski, who turns 27 on Saturday and has played for the Patriots since 2010, was a runner-up to appear on the cover of last year’s installment in the best-selling video-game franchise. He lost out to Odell Beckham Jr., a receiver for the New York Giants.
The latest edition of the game will come out in August.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.