Jennifer Lopez, she of the world-famous derriere and ageless face, is well-acknowledged as an all-around queen, even after 30 years in the industry. However, it’s arguable that early ’00s J. Lo was when Jenny from the block really hit her stride.
However, a recent discovery by Jezebel has us wondering if we ever really knew early ’00s J. Lo at all. If you’ve ever heard her Ja Rule collaboration “I’m Real (Remix),” you know that it begins with the rapper scream-asking J. Lo, “What’s my motherf*king name?”
To which we thought J. Lo replied, “Are you Ellie?” A weird lyric to sing back to Ja Rule, but honestly at this point, we were probably too busy dancing to care. Some people have also posited that it’s “Are you ready?” which makes more sense, but apparently that isn’t what she’s saying either.
We’ve all been wrong this whole time — because according to Jezebel, she’s actually saying “R-U-L-E,” which makes sense because, you know, it’s Ja Rule’s name.
Anyways, take a listen and indulge some early ’00s nostalgia — what does it sound like to you?
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now