Kelly Ripa raised some eyebrows when she didn’t show up to work the day after she found out her Live! co-host Michael Strahan would be leaving for Good Morning America. But in a new interview, Ripa says her decision to take the day off was misunderstood.
“I think what people need to understand about the entire situation is that I didn’t just not show up,” Ripa told People. When she learned the news in a meeting, she says, “I said, in the room, ‘I am going to take the day off.’ I needed to actually sit and gather information. I needed to make sure I said the appropriate things on TV and didn’t just come out and say whatever.”
Ripa returned to the show several days later after taking an anniversary trip with her husband, and the dust has settled somewhat. But she wants her fans to understand how she felt about learning the news hardly any sooner than the public did. “We’re excited for Michael … I think it is a perfect match, I really do,” she says. “However, what nobody considered is there’s a whole other group of people that it really impacts, because we have to now find another great person [to co-host].”
She added, “I think that all people are deserving of fair treatment in the work place. People deserve respect. People should be treated equally and with dignity.”
Read more at People.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time