It’s no secret that Prince wasn’t the Kardashians’ biggest fan. Back in 2011, the music icon famously kicked Kim K off stage for refusing to dance with him during a Welcome 2 Tour performance. And according to Zooey Deschanel, that wasn’t the only time he showed distaste for the famous family.
The 36-year-old actress appeared on Monday’s episode of Conan and recounted the story of Prince making a cameo on New Girl. After explaining how he had reached out to her saying he’d like to be on an episode of the show, Deschanel revealed that the singer had some stipulations. Turns out, he refused to appear with the Kardashians.
“Someone was friends with some of the Kardashians and had made a phone call and they had kindly come on to shoot a kind of cameo part,” she said, regarding a party scene that featured several celebrities. “It turns out that someone from Prince’s camp said, ‘Who are the celebrities? I hope it’s not a Kardashian…Which is sad because Khloe Kardashian and Kris Jenner had very kindly come in and shot the scene…I felt so bad cause obviously everyone had gone out of their way to be there on that day but Prince was running the show.”
The producers even went so far as to burn any evidence that the reality stars had been on set.
Watch the full clip above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Megan McCluskey at firstname.lastname@example.org