John Oliver mocked Donald Trump and Rodrigo Duterte, the controversial candidate who is leading polls to become the next president in the Philippines, in a segment Sunday that hailed Duterte as the “Trump of the East.”
The host of HBO’s Last Week Tonight first quipped about Trump becoming the presumptive Republican nominee for president. “That’s right, this sentient circus peanut now holds the future of a major political party in his tiny, raccoon paw-sized hands,” he said.
Oliver then cut into Duterte, who during his campaign made headlines for joking about rape, his penis and killing his children if they took drugs.“Duterte routinely kisses his female supporters, once called the pope a ‘son of a bitch,’ all of which has earned him a reputation of the ‘Trump of the East,’” Oliver said.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time