John Oliver mocked Donald Trump and Rodrigo Duterte, the controversial candidate who is leading polls to become the next president in the Philippines, in a segment Sunday that hailed Duterte as the “Trump of the East.”
The host of HBO’s Last Week Tonight first quipped about Trump becoming the presumptive Republican nominee for president. “That’s right, this sentient circus peanut now holds the future of a major political party in his tiny, raccoon paw-sized hands,” he said.
Oliver then cut into Duterte, who during his campaign made headlines for joking about rape, his penis and killing his children if they took drugs.“Duterte routinely kisses his female supporters, once called the pope a ‘son of a bitch,’ all of which has earned him a reputation of the ‘Trump of the East,’” Oliver said.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving