Ser Alliser Thorne met his end in this week’s episode of Game of Thrones, executed by resurrected Jon Snow alongside the other Night’s Watch traitors.
Although many fans were likely happy to see Thorne go, what they may not realize is he was one of a dwindling number of characters who have been on the show from the first episode.
“I thought they’re either going to really invest in Thorne and he’s going to take over Castle Black, or it will mean his end — and I liked either of those options,” actor Owen Teale told Entertainment Weekly when he found out he would kill Snow. “I guess I would prefer they explore his character with Jon Snow gone, but it’s not as interesting as what they’ve chosen. They give him a death and a speech.”
He also talked about what it was like to play the dour character: “In Thorne’s boots is not a nice place to be,” he said. “I found the most important thing when playing the character was to just get rid of a whole section of feelings that I have as a human being — like joy, for instance, that’s just gone.”
Read more at Entertainment Weekly to learn more about Teale’s final day on set, and the crazy thing fans always ask him to do in selfies.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Tessa Berenson at tessa.Rogers@time.com