Harrison Ford is handing over the controls of the Millennium Falcon to Alden Ehrenreich, according to unnamed sources cited by the Hollywood Reporter. The American actor is reportedly in final negotiations for the role of young Han Solo in an upcoming Star Wars spinoff.
Phil Lord and Chris Miller, of 21 Jump Street and Lego Movie, will direct the standalone film about the roguish captain, the Reporter says. It is part of a package of movies scheduled to be released over the next several years by the franchise’s new owner, Disney, which broke box office records with the most recent installment, The Force Awakens.
Ehrenreich may not be a household name yet — he could be soon — but he has a superlative filmography. His feature film debut was in Francis Ford Coppola’s Tetro. More recently, he shared the screen with George Clooney and Josh Brolin in the Coen brother’s latest movie, Hail, Caesar!
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving