Harrison Ford is handing over the controls of the Millennium Falcon to Alden Ehrenreich, according to unnamed sources cited by the Hollywood Reporter. The American actor is reportedly in final negotiations for the role of young Han Solo in an upcoming Star Wars spinoff.
Phil Lord and Chris Miller, of 21 Jump Street and Lego Movie, will direct the standalone film about the roguish captain, the Reporter says. It is part of a package of movies scheduled to be released over the next several years by the franchise’s new owner, Disney, which broke box office records with the most recent installment, The Force Awakens.
Ehrenreich may not be a household name yet — he could be soon — but he has a superlative filmography. His feature film debut was in Francis Ford Coppola’s Tetro. More recently, he shared the screen with George Clooney and Josh Brolin in the Coen brother’s latest movie, Hail, Caesar!
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Mark Rivett-Carnac at email@example.com