Republican Speaker of the House Paul Ryan said Thursday that he is “not there yet” on supporting Donald Trump, the presumptive presidential nominee for his party.
As the highest-ranking elected Republican, Ryan has criticized the divisive politics of the 2016 campaign and said Thursday that Trump needs to reassure conservative voters he shares their values.
Here is a transcript of Ryan’s interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction