Republican Speaker of the House Paul Ryan said Thursday that he is “not there yet” on supporting Donald Trump, the presumptive presidential nominee for his party.
As the highest-ranking elected Republican, Ryan has criticized the divisive politics of the 2016 campaign and said Thursday that Trump needs to reassure conservative voters he shares their values.
Here is a transcript of Ryan’s interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement