Donald Trump has been promising for months to do outreach to Hispanic voters, claiming that he’ll win big with them in November and that they love him. He fulfilled his promise Thursday with a Cinco de Mayo tweet about a taco bowl.
“Happy #CincoDeMayo!” the presumptive GOP nominee tweeted. “The best taco bowls are made in Trump Tower Grill. I love Hispanics!” The tweet accompanied a photo of Trump, fork in hand, grinning and flashing a thumbs up over a massive Mexican-inspired lunch.
Trump told TIME in December that if he won the Republican nomination, “one of my first pictures is going to be to get all of my Hispanic employees and take a picture in some area,” he said. “People will be amazed. I have thousands. Thousands. I’m going to take a picture and we’re going to get them all together and we’re going to have a picture. They love me. I take great care of them.”
National polls have Trump under water with Hispanic voters; according to a Gallup poll from March, 77% of Hispanics in the United States view him unfavorably.
Hillary Clinton, Trump’s likely opponent in the general election, immediately hit him back for the tweet, calling him out for comments he has made about deporting undocumented immigrants:
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How a Government Shutdown Could Affect You
- Colleges Get Creative to Boost Mental Health
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time