New Jersey Police are on the hunt for an escaped minimum security inmate who was spotted entering a CVS in the town of Barnegat on Wednesday.
Corrections authorities discovered Arthur Buckel, 38, was missing from Bayside State Prison in South New Jersey during a Tuesday morning inmate check, the AP reports. After the Barnegat Police Department alerted residents about the escaped convict, they were flooded with tips and had investigated over 50 of them by Wednesday evening.
“He is going to be found. He is going to be apprehended,” said Barnegat Mayor Jon Novak at a Wednesday press conference. “My suggestion to [Buckel] is to surrender to law enforcement immediately. Make it easy for everyone, including yourself. You are going to be apprehended either way.”
Investigators suspect Buckel may be trying to reach a relative nearby in New Jersey. Barnegat residents have been advised to lock their doors and cars.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.