In a new video, actors playing authors George R.R. Martin and J.R.R. Tolkien (the latter passed away in 1973) face off in an epic—and satirical—rap battle brutally roasting each other in an effort to reign supreme in the fantasy genres. The video also gives fans an idea of what it would look like if, as in The Highlander, there could only be one literary superstar with the middle initials “R.R.”.
In his opening volley, Martin takes Tolkien to task for letting the good guys win and actually keeping beloved characters alive until the end of the book. In his words: “All your bad guys die and good guys survive/we can tell what’s gonna happen by page and age five.”
“Your hobbit hole heroes can’t handle my throne!” crows Martin.
“You want a war, George? Welcome to Shire-raq,” answers Tolkien, throwing down the iron gauntlet, “You and Jon Snow, both know nothing!” Tolkien continues accusing Martin of Hob-biting his work. “You’re a pirate, you even stole my R. R.,” cackles Tolkien, adding, “In book sales, you’ve got nothing to say, I’m number one and two, you’re below Fifty Shades of Grey.”
Watch it above.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve