China is hoping that rap and rhymes will help recruit more young men to the world’s largest standing army.
A hip-hop beat backs lyrics like “Kill! Kill! Kill” in an action-packed video released by China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA). The slick production has racked up nearly 100,000 comments on China’s Twitter-like service, Weibo, since being posted on the army newspaper’s website Thursday.
The lyrics “hide neither combativeness nor a desire to fight,” China Daily newspaper noted dryly in a story on the piece on Tuesday.
The video does not shy away from the gruesome, and starts with references to being shot…
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow