The annual Met Gala is basically the biggest night in fashion, with everyone from industry heavy-hitters like Anna Wintour to pop princesses like Taylor Swift dressing to the nines for the red carpet at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. If there’s ever a night to take a style risk, it’s definitely during the Met Gala—and this year’s tech-inspired gala theme, Manus x Machina, provided ample opportunity for the night’s high-profile guests to make a major statement on the red carpet.
As expected, the internet had lots to say about the looks from Monday night’s red carpet; in fact, before the event even finished, memes commemorating the zany futuristic looks were already popping online. See the best of the web’s reactions to last night’s Met Gala looks, below.
Sarah Jessica Parker’s ruffled ensemble reminded a fan of one of Jerry Seinfeld’s favorite looks.
Lupita Nyong’o’s hair and dress drew Marge Simpson comparisons.
Pleats or potato chips?
Continuing the snack theme of the night, Taylor Swift’s metallic Louis Vuitton dress was compared to a Hershey’s Kiss.
Katy Perry’s look bore an uncanny resemblance to one of the chickens in Chicken Run.
Beyoncé’s latex Givenchy dress gave new meaning to one of her Lemonade lyrics.
Kylie Jenner’s new hairstyle drew Lord Farquuad comparisons.
And it was only a matter of time before Rita Ora’s feather-embellished gown was linked to a feather duster.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving