The annual Met Gala is basically the biggest night in fashion, with everyone from industry heavy-hitters like Anna Wintour to pop princesses like Taylor Swift dressing to the nines for the red carpet at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. If there’s ever a night to take a style risk, it’s definitely during the Met Gala—and this year’s tech-inspired gala theme, Manus x Machina, provided ample opportunity for the night’s high-profile guests to make a major statement on the red carpet.
As expected, the internet had lots to say about the looks from Monday night’s red carpet; in fact, before the event even finished, memes commemorating the zany futuristic looks were already popping online. See the best of the web’s reactions to last night’s Met Gala looks, below.
Sarah Jessica Parker’s ruffled ensemble reminded a fan of one of Jerry Seinfeld’s favorite looks.
Lupita Nyong’o’s hair and dress drew Marge Simpson comparisons.
Pleats or potato chips?
Continuing the snack theme of the night, Taylor Swift’s metallic Louis Vuitton dress was compared to a Hershey’s Kiss.
Katy Perry’s look bore an uncanny resemblance to one of the chickens in Chicken Run.
Beyoncé’s latex Givenchy dress gave new meaning to one of her Lemonade lyrics.
Kylie Jenner’s new hairstyle drew Lord Farquuad comparisons.
And it was only a matter of time before Rita Ora’s feather-embellished gown was linked to a feather duster.
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was