Scientists have identified an asteroid formed in the inner Solar System at the same time as Earth that has been remarkably preserved, according to new research.
The study, published in the journal Science Advances, shows that the asteroid had been preserved since spinning out to the freezing cold temperatures of the Oort Cloud region at the edge of the Solar System.
“This one is the first uncooked asteroid we could observe,” study author Karen Meech, a researcher at University of Hawaii’s Institute for Astronomy, said in a statement. “It has been preserved in the best freezer there is.”
- Introducing the TIME100 Climate List
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time