Larry Wilmore, host of Comedy Central’s satirical news program The Nightly Show, has gotten mixed reviews for using the N-word at the end of his speech at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner on Saturday night.
“Yo Barry, you did it my n—a,” Wilmore said to President Obama at the close of his remarks.
Shortly after the event, the Rev. Al Sharpton said that the use of the word in front of Obama was “at best in poor taste,” while Saturday Night Live cast member Sasheer Zamata tweeted, “This is the blackest correspondents dinner ever and I LOVE it.”
Here is a glimpse at the rest of the reaction on Twitter immediately following the event:
In June 2015, Wilmore also made headlines for using the word twice uncensored on his cable show, while just a couple of days prior, Obama used it in a candid podcast interview with Marc Maron about race relations in America.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time