Larry Wilmore, host of Comedy Central’s satirical news program The Nightly Show, has gotten mixed reviews for using the N-word at the end of his speech at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner on Saturday night.
“Yo Barry, you did it my n—a,” Wilmore said to President Obama at the close of his remarks.
Shortly after the event, the Rev. Al Sharpton said that the use of the word in front of Obama was “at best in poor taste,” while Saturday Night Live cast member Sasheer Zamata tweeted, “This is the blackest correspondents dinner ever and I LOVE it.”
Here is a glimpse at the rest of the reaction on Twitter immediately following the event:
In June 2015, Wilmore also made headlines for using the word twice uncensored on his cable show, while just a couple of days prior, Obama used it in a candid podcast interview with Marc Maron about race relations in America.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List