Amy Schumer is taking a firm new policy with fans: She won’t be taking any more photos with them – and it’s all thanks, she said, to one particular fan in South Carolina.
As Schumer, 34, explained in a Saturday Instagram post, a man (pictured in the post) had “just run up” to her on the street in Greenville and “scared the s—” out of her. The comedian performed in the city Saturday night.
“Put a camera in my face. I asked him to stop and he said ‘No it’s America and we paid for you,’ ” Schumer wrote in her caption, adding that the man was with his daughter
“I was saying stop and no. Great message to your kid. Yes legally you are allowed to take a picture of me. But I was asking you to stop and saying no,” Schumer wrote.
“I will not take [pictures] with people anymore and it’s because of this dude in Greenville,” she wrote.
Just a few hours before the souring incident Saturday, Schumer shared another Instagram video from her Greenville stop, capturing more positive feelings about the city:
“Greenville makes you feel like mmmmmmm,” she wrote.
Schumer elaborated on her Instagram post on Saturday, writing on Twitter that she still will take photos “with nice people when I choose to if it’s a good time for that.
“But I don’t owe you anything,” she continued. “So don’t take if I say no.”
Schumer also told PEOPLE in a statement that she was grateful for her fans:
“I am grateful to people who like my work and support me but not the ones who think that behavior is ok.”
Later, the comedian apparently unwound with a bit on equine therapy, writing hours later alongside a photo with a horse, “Day turned around with Harley.”
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science