An infographic telling prospective University of Washington cheerleaders how to do their hair and makeup has sparked a blacklash on campus and on social media.
Women trying out for the cheerleading squad should have a “bronze, beach glow” with “flattering eye shadow” and should avoid “tops that cover the midriff,” according to a flyer featuring a smiling blonde woman that has circulated widely online.
“I can’t believe this is real,” UW student Jazmine Perez, director of programming for student government, told the Seattle Times. “As a student of color who looks nothing like the student in the poster, this feels very exclusive.”
The document mimics similar infographics distributed for cheerleading tryouts Washington State University and Louisiana State University, according to the Seattle Times.
The university withdrew the flyer following the complaints.
“Some of the details and descriptions provided were inconsistent with the values of the UW spirit program and department of athletics,” the university said in a statement, according to NBC News. “Athletic department officials have reinforced the values of the programs to UW spirit leadership, and look forward to an equitable and diverse tryout process for interested students.”
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was