An infographic telling prospective University of Washington cheerleaders how to do their hair and makeup has sparked a blacklash on campus and on social media.
Women trying out for the cheerleading squad should have a “bronze, beach glow” with “flattering eye shadow” and should avoid “tops that cover the midriff,” according to a flyer featuring a smiling blonde woman that has circulated widely online.
“I can’t believe this is real,” UW student Jazmine Perez, director of programming for student government, told the Seattle Times. “As a student of color who looks nothing like the student in the poster, this feels very exclusive.”
The document mimics similar infographics distributed for cheerleading tryouts Washington State University and Louisiana State University, according to the Seattle Times.
The university withdrew the flyer following the complaints.
“Some of the details and descriptions provided were inconsistent with the values of the UW spirit program and department of athletics,” the university said in a statement, according to NBC News. “Athletic department officials have reinforced the values of the programs to UW spirit leadership, and look forward to an equitable and diverse tryout process for interested students.”
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears