It’s that time of the year again. The time when everyone on the Internet is confronted with a photo of Justin Timberlake smiling and sporting his circa 2000 ramen noodle hair. Of course, that picture also features a now-infamous caption: “It’s gonna be May.”
For anyone who has somehow managed to avoid this meme since it became popular in 2012, the gag is a play off a moment in NSYNC’s hit “It’s Gonna Be Me” when J.T. sings the title lyric in a way that sounds like he’s announcing the start of a certain spring month.
While many have come to loathe the joke, the photo continues to go viral every April 30. In fact, it has become so pervasive that even President Barack Obama and Justin himself have gotten in on the action.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now