President Barack Obama is set to visit Flint, Michigan on May 4 after reading an email from a child there.
Obama will travel to the city where a lead-contaminated water supply has left some 100,000 residents in crisis to “hear first-hand from Flint residents about the public health crisis, receive an in-person briefing on the federal efforts in place to help respond to the needs of the people of Flint, and deliver remarks to community members,” says a White House official, according to a report by the Detroit News.
Obama called a state of emergency there in January and held a meeting with Flint Mayor Karen Weaver, but has yet to visit the city — until reading an email from an 8-year-old resident who asked to meet with the President.
“I am one of the children that is [affected] by this water and I’ve been doing my best to march in protest and to speak out for all the kids that live here in Flint,” wrote Amariyanna Copeny, according to a copy of the email that was obtained by the Detroit News.
Copeny requested meeting with the president while she was in Washington last month attending congressional hearings on the city’s water crisis. Obama replied, letting her know that he would be paying a visit to Flint.
“I am so proud of you for using your voice to speak out on behalf of the children of Flint. That’s why I want you to be the first to know that I’m coming to visit Flint on May 4th,” Obama wrote. “I want to make sure people like you and your family are receiving the help you need and deserve. Like you, I’ll use my voice to call for change and help lift up your community.”
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve