“This event rests, as influence rests, at the intersection of accomplishment and renown,” TIME Managing Editor Nancy Gibbs said during her speech Tuesday at the TIME 100 Gala in New York, addressing the current and former honorees from the world’s 100 most influential people list.
The glitzy, high-profile annual event produced several memorable moments, including power-packed performances from Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj as well as moving speeches from Melissa McCarthy, Lewis Hamilton and Caitlyn Jenner, all honored on this year’s TIME 100.
“So many people in this room were told: ‘You can’t do that,'” McCarthy said. “In one way or another, everybody in this room simply forged ahead.”
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List