“This event rests, as influence rests, at the intersection of accomplishment and renown,” TIME Managing Editor Nancy Gibbs said during her speech Tuesday at the TIME 100 Gala in New York, addressing the current and former honorees from the world’s 100 most influential people list.
The glitzy, high-profile annual event produced several memorable moments, including power-packed performances from Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj as well as moving speeches from Melissa McCarthy, Lewis Hamilton and Caitlyn Jenner, all honored on this year’s TIME 100.
“So many people in this room were told: ‘You can’t do that,'” McCarthy said. “In one way or another, everybody in this room simply forged ahead.”
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time