TIME 100 honoree Melissa McCarthy thanked the pioneers who “forged ahead” despite their naysayers while delivering an inspiring toast at the TIME 100 Gala.
The actress recognized the challenges the honorees likely faced on their road to greatness, saying many were told, “you can’t do that” or “that’s not how you should think.” “Everyone in this room simply forged ahead,” she said. “I would like to thank you, in all sincerity, for your anarchy. And I mean that actually—I kind of mean that from the bottom of my heart. Thinking outside the box like that will change the world, and it doesn’t matter how small or how big.”
Read More: Melissa McCarthy Says She Believes in Ghosts
“None of you have picked the easy way,” she added. “There are a lot easier ways to do this than what you’ve all done, and I think we’ve all benefited from it greatly. I think we’re all grateful for it. I just want to say thank you for just going your own direction.”
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving