Crew members from Norwegian Cruise Line pulled two unconscious children, ages 4 and 6, out of a pool on Monday. Medical staff revived the oldest child, but pronounced the youngest one dead, according to Reuters.
The U.S. coast guard airlifted the surviving child, along with the grandmother, to a North Carolina hospital. “We are extremely saddened to report that a tragedy occurred on board Norwegian Breakaway this morning,” read an official statement on Norwegian Cruise Line’s Facebook page. “Devastatingly, the younger child passed away on board.”
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving