Rodrigo Duterte,who has been the mayor of Davao for 22 years, had a voter preference rating of 33% in a survey conducted April 18-20. That Social Weather Stations poll gave Duterte a six-point boost since the last survey, when he had 27% support a March 30-April 2 poll, the Washington Post reports.
Duterte made the controversial joke on April 12, when he talked to a crowd about Australian missionary Jacqueline Hamill who had been kidnapped, raped and killed in 1989 and said, “She was so beautiful. I thought, the mayor should have been first.”
The second-most popular candidate has a 24% voter approval rating. The April poll surveyed 1,800 voters.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms