Among the thousands of tributes pouring in for Prince on Thursday night following his death, from the music world and beyond, one of the most talked-about was on Broadway, from Jennifer Hudson and the cast of the musical The Color Purple.
“I did not expect to have to speak on tonight, but God has his way,” Hudson said after the show. “Today, we lost a legend,” she said, before sharing an anecdote about the last time she (and the rest of the cast) met Prince.
Watch as the cast breaks out in a rendition of one of Prince’s most famous songs, “Purple Rain,” before Hudson takes over the performance with her powerful voice.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- The 'Dopamine Detox' Is Having a Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- What NASA Can Teach SpaceX About Protecting the Environment
- The Best Movies of 2023 So Far