Canadian border officials arrested a high school basketball player after he was said to be 30 years old, the Windsor Star reports.
Jonathon Nicola, a refugee from South Sudan, became known in the past six months as the 17-year-old star of the basketball team at Catholic Central High School in Windsor, Ontario. The school even said that the Detroit Pistons donated clothing and size 16 shoes to Nicola, The Washington Post points out. The video below, which shows him playing basketball, has been circulating on social media.
Nicola is accused of violating the Immigration Refugee Protection Act, according to the Windsor Star, and another hearing on the case is scheduled for next week. The team’s head coach Pete Cusumano, whom the player was said to be living with, and the spokesperson for the Windsor-Essex Catholic District School Board, told the Canadian news outlet that they could not talk about the situation further.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate