The new religious freedom law in Mississippi allows businesses to refuse service based on opposition to same sex marriage, and HB 2 in North Carolina mandates that transgender people use bathrooms according to their birth sex.
“The US is an extremely diverse society and attitudes towards LGBT people differ hugely across the country,” states the Foreign Office advice about the U.S. “LGBT travellers may be affected by legislation passed recently in the states of North Carolina and Mississippi.”
Before Tuesday’s update, the Foreign Office had only offered general advice that LGBT travelers “take care abroad.”
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time