The British Foreign Office updated its travel advisories Tuesday to warn LGBT travelers about recent legislation passed in North Carolina and Mississippi.
The new religious freedom law in Mississippi allows businesses to refuse service based on opposition to same sex marriage, and HB 2 in North Carolina mandates that transgender people use bathrooms according to their birth sex.
“The US is an extremely diverse society and attitudes towards LGBT people differ hugely across the country,” states the Foreign Office advice about the U.S. “LGBT travellers may be affected by legislation passed recently in the states of North Carolina and Mississippi.”
Before Tuesday’s update, the Foreign Office had only offered general advice that LGBT travelers “take care abroad.”
[The Independent, Washington Post]
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now