The Olympic torch for the 2016 Games in Rio de Janero was lit in Athens on Thursday, kicking off a journey that will cross continents before ending in the Brazilian city on Aug. 5.
Greek gymnast Eleftherios Petrounias is the first of roughly 12,000 athletes that will carry the torch. It’s due to arrive in Brazil on April 27, where it will be taken through 83 cities and 500 towns, reaching about 90% of the country’s population, according to CNN.
You can watch the torch lighting ceremony live above.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.