For South Carolina, 2015 was one of the most challenging years on record.
Whether dealing with the hate-filled shootings of the Charleston Nine at Mother Emanuel AME Church, the removal of the Confederate battle flag flying over statehouse grounds, the police shooting of Walter Scott or a 1,000-year flood, South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley led with determination, grace and compassion.
From shaking up the system to providing kindness and understanding to the individuals and families affected by these tragedies, she put a face on South Carolina that we were all extremely proud of.
It is during challenging times when you really learn the mettle of a leader, and in the case of Nikki Haley, she excelled to the lasting benefit of our state.
Graham is a Republican Senator from South Carolina
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science