For years now I have been telling my friends that I thought Barack Obama was the first Canadian President. I meant it as a compliment. So it’s only fitting that as Obama’s time in office winds down, another Canadian leader steps onto the world stage.
Though I live in New York, Canadians are Canadians wherever they live. It’s the way we look at the world, which to us seems perfectly reasonable and right.
In many ways Canada is no longer the country I grew up in, but when I hear Justin Trudeau talk, it sounds like my Canada again. Bold, clear as a bell and progressive.
In politics as in show business, there are three things you need to be successful: talent, discipline and luck. Trudeau clearly has the first two. I wish him luck.
I believe he will be a force for good.
Michaels is the creator and executive producer of Saturday Night Live
- Workers Are Furious. Their Unions Are Scrambling to Catch Up
- What the Facebook Whistleblower Did to the Company's Stock in 6 Weeks
- Photos from Migrants' Desperate Journeys to the U.S. Border
- Emily Ratajkowski: How I Learned to Let Go
- Afghanistan's Female Students Were Banned from Studying. Now Some Are Finding New Ways to Learn
- The 'Safe Supply' Movement Aims to Curb Drug Deaths Linked to the Opioid Crisis
- The 19 Most Underrated Movies on Netflix
- By Ending Legacy Admissions, Amherst Hopes to Change the Makeup of Its Student Body