Bill Nye, who is at least as much of a scientist as Sarah Palin, is ready to put his money where his mouth is when it comes to climate change—$20,000, specifically.
The TV scientist—who holds a mechanical engineering degree from Cornell, is a visiting professor at the university, and has several patent—is tired of people denying climate change despite the overwhelming evidence of global warming.
Nye has now challenged meteorologist Joe Bastardi, who is one of Nye’s most vocal critics and wrote a scathing opinion piece about him last year, to a $20,000 bet that 2016 will be in the top 10 of hottest years on record and that this current decade will be the warmest ever recorded. Nye and Bastardi have sparred in the past, and there appears to be no love lost between them. In the video, Nye goads Bastardi into taking the bet: “Come on, champ,” he said. “Show us how tough you are.”
In the video, Nye also implies that Bastardi is being paid by coal and oil industry to use his platform to deny climate change. “I can’t help but think about Upton Sinclair, who said, ‘It’s hard to get a man to believe something when his salary depends on his not believing it,’” Nye said in the video.
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now