The TV scientist—who holds a mechanical engineering degree from Cornell, is a visiting professor at the university, and has several patent—is tired of people denying climate change despite the overwhelming evidence of global warming.
Nye has now challenged meteorologist Joe Bastardi, who is one of Nye’s most vocal critics and wrote a scathing opinion piece about him last year, to a $20,000 bet that 2016 will be in the top 10 of hottest years on record and that this current decade will be the warmest ever recorded. Nye and Bastardi have sparred in the past, and there appears to be no love lost between them. In the video, Nye goads Bastardi into taking the bet: “Come on, champ,” he said. “Show us how tough you are.”
In the video, Nye also implies that Bastardi is being paid by coal and oil industry to use his platform to deny climate change. “I can’t help but think about Upton Sinclair, who said, ‘It’s hard to get a man to believe something when his salary depends on his not believing it,’” Nye said in the video.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time