A 21-year-old world champion snowboarder was killed by an avalanche in Switzerland on Tuesday, sports officials said.
Described as a “naturally gifted shining star,” Estelle Balet died in the canton of Valais, on Switzerland’s southwest border with Italy and France, according to a statement from the Freeride World Tour.
Balet had earned her second world title as part of the Freeride World Tour in Verbier, Switzerland, earlier this year.
“Estelle Balet was a naturally gifted shining star and demonstrated remarkable talent as she quickly became a household name on the Freeride World Tour,” tour officials said in a statement….
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List