A 21-year-old world champion snowboarder was killed by an avalanche in Switzerland on Tuesday, sports officials said.
Described as a “naturally gifted shining star,” Estelle Balet died in the canton of Valais, on Switzerland’s southwest border with Italy and France, according to a statement from the Freeride World Tour.
Balet had earned her second world title as part of the Freeride World Tour in Verbier, Switzerland, earlier this year.
“Estelle Balet was a naturally gifted shining star and demonstrated remarkable talent as she quickly became a household name on the Freeride World Tour,” tour officials said in a statement….
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time