The group of mostly black women who accused a Napa Valley train company of kicking them off with racial motivation have settled a lawsuit against the train operator, according to a report.
The incident occurred in August of last year when the book club composed of 11 women—10 black and one white—traveled on a Napa Valley wine train to discuss a romance novel, according to reports. The train conductor removed them for being loud.
The story received national attention and launched a Twitter hashtag #laughingwhileblack.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Justin Worland at firstname.lastname@example.org