I fell in love with Ronda Rousey when she announced to the world that she was not a “Do-Nothing Bitch.” Always a sucker for an elegant turn of phrase, I quickly jumped down an Internet rabbit hole to hear more from this oracle.
I watched her tell the hosts of The View, “Pain is just information.” I learned her mother’s mantra, “You’re not training to be the best in the world. You’re training to be the best in the world on your worst day.” I delighted in her response to those who couldn’t accept a female athlete talking smack: “Some people like to call me cocky … but I just think, How dare you assume I should think less of myself?” And I recommend you immediately get a tattoo of Ronda’s full “DNB” quote in which she explains that every muscle in her body serves a purpose and the way she looks is just a by-product.
Imagine if we could teach our daughters to value their bodies for what they can do, not for how others think they look. Could Ronda be the one to finally help us understand that as females, we define the word feminine and that it doesn’t define us? If we don’t listen, can she dislocate our arms at the elbow?
Last year, when Ronda suffered her first-ever UFC loss at the hands (and feet) of Holly Holm, her detractors rejoiced. But Ronda will be back. “Everybody has losses in their life, but I choose to always be undefeated.” Put this DSB on Mount Rushmore already.
Fey is an actor, writer and producer who will co-star with Rousey in upcoming film Do Nothing Bitches
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now