The first photo of Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa in the upcoming Power Rangers movie is finally here. Shot exclusively for People magazine, the image shows Banks fully embodying the alien witch nemesis of the mighty morphin’ teens.
The actress explained that her character’s look—which includes sharp metallic fingernails and some flashy headgear—is a new take on the villain from the 1993 television series Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. “It’s definitely a modern and edgy re-imagining of the original Rita Repulsa,” she told People. “We wanted to give her a back story that connects her to the new Rangers.”
Power Rangers is set to hit theaters in 2017.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time