Soon in Madrid if you don’t pick up after your dog, you’ll face more than a glare from a neighbor.
Madrid Mayor Manuela Carmena is beginning a crackdown on dog poop on the city streets, saying careless pet owners could face fines up to 1,500 euros ($1,700), the Associated Press reports. Or, the punishment may fit the crime: Carmena says she will propose that offenders could spend time cleaning the streets on weekends as a substitute for the fine.
Madrid is initially going to focus on two city districts having especially bad problems with pet waste.7
More Must-Reads From TIME
- What Wildfire Smoke Does to the Human Body
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Why Pence Launched His Presidential Bid in Iowa
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best TV Shows of 2023 So Far
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk