After more than a foot of rain poured down on parts of Houston, the Texas city was hit with flash floods. A dramatic video posted Monday morning shows a broadcast reporter helping a man as his car is swallowed by rising floodwaters.
In the video, viewers see a car spinning and slowly sinking in the water. The reporter can be heard yelling at the driver to get out of the car and telling him to abandon his vehicle and swim to safety. When the man begins to swim, the reporter plunges in to grab him and pull him to higher ground.
“I didn’t think the water was that deep,” the man says as he watches his car submerge.
The Associated Press reports that Houston city offices are closed Monday and classes have been canceled for the hundreds of thousands of students in the Houston Independent School District.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating