A Philadelphia man who allegedly admitted to fatally shooting his 4-year-old daughter over the weekend has been charged with murder, police said.
Maurice Stephon Phillips, 30, fled after the shooting in the family’s home on Saturday and later turned himself in to authorities, saying he had accidentally shot his daughter while playing with the gun, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports. He was charged with third-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter, endangering the welfare of children, possession an instrument of crime and recklessly endangering another person, according to the newspaper. Phillips was being held without bail after his Monday arraignment, the Inquirer said.
The girl was shot once in the chest and was pronounced dead at the scene, according to ABC 6.
- Column: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive