A Russian jet flew aggressively close to a U.S. reconnaissance plane on Thursday in the latest unwelcome encounter with Russian forces in international waters over the Baltic Sea, the Pentagon said Saturday.
The Russian aircraft approached the RC-135 reconnaissance plane in an “unsafe and unprofessional” manner, the U.S. military said, according to USA Today. The incident comes days after a Russian aircraft dangerously flew around the USS Donald Cook. In that instance, a Russian aircraft performed “multiple, aggressive flight maneuvers,” including seven barrel rolls, around the U.S. Navy destroyer, authorities said.
“There have been repeated incidents over the last year where Russian military aircraft have come close enough to other air and sea traffic to raise serious safety concerns, and we are very concerned with any such behavior,” the Pentagon said in a statement. “The unsafe and unprofessional actions of a single pilot have the potential to unnecessarily escalate tensions between countries.”
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases