Mars Food, which includes brands Dolmio and Uncle Ben’s, will label certain pasta sauces advising “occasional” consumption in a new initiative to help customers structure a healthy diet.
The labels will be put on products with high levels of salt, sugar or fat, such as Dolmio lasagne meal kits and lasagne sauces, Reuters reports. The company will consider products with lower levels of salt, sugar or fat to be “everyday” meals, and the ones labeled “occasional” should be considered about once a week.
“Our Nutrition Criteria sets a very high standard for our products, and we also want to help our consumers understand the difference between ‘everyday’ and ‘occasional’ products within a balanced diet,” Fiona Dawson, global president of Mars Food, Drinks, and Multisales, said in a release.
Mars Food has also set targets to reduce sodium in its products by an average of 20 percent by 2021, and to reduce added sugar in certain sauces and light meals by 2018.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Tessa Berenson at tessa.Rogers@time.com