Mars Food, which includes brands Dolmio and Uncle Ben’s, will label certain pasta sauces advising “occasional” consumption in a new initiative to help customers structure a healthy diet.
The labels will be put on products with high levels of salt, sugar or fat, such as Dolmio lasagne meal kits and lasagne sauces, Reuters reports. The company will consider products with lower levels of salt, sugar or fat to be “everyday” meals, and the ones labeled “occasional” should be considered about once a week.
“Our Nutrition Criteria sets a very high standard for our products, and we also want to help our consumers understand the difference between ‘everyday’ and ‘occasional’ products within a balanced diet,” Fiona Dawson, global president of Mars Food, Drinks, and Multisales, said in a release.
Mars Food has also set targets to reduce sodium in its products by an average of 20 percent by 2021, and to reduce added sugar in certain sauces and light meals by 2018.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science