Good news for Sam Worthington! At 20th Century Fox’s CinemaCon presentation Thursday, director James Cameron took the stage to announce that his vision for the Avatar franchise has expanded further. “We’ve begun to bump up against the limitations of our art form,” said Cameron. “There’s just too much story.”
And so: There will be four Avatar sequels. You should be suspicious of any promises about release dates, but Cameron outlined a Christmas release schedule for the films: Avatar 2 in Christmas 2018; Avatar 3 in Christmas 2020; Avatar 4 in Christmas 2022; and Avatar 5 in Christmas 2023. “Each one of which stands alone,” Cameron promised, “but which together form a complete saga.”
The presentation ended with Cameron showing off some concept art for the next four Avatar movies. Lots of green and blue, and I think I saw an alien turtle swimming. Fingers crossed, Avatar 5 will be all about that turtle.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.