They alive, damn it… and there’ll be more of them soon. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt star Ellie Kemper is pregnant. Reports first emerged during the day on Wednesday, and then Kemper confirmed it during her appearance on The Tonight Show. She celebrated the news in the best possible way, accompanied by a Questlove drum beat and a pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream.
Kemper learned she was pregnant during filming for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt season 2, though it didn’t become a factor until the end. Kimmy is supposed to ride on a roller coaster, and Kemper wasn’t sure if that was okay, so she called for support. “I had to tell my boss, Tina Fey, maybe you’ve heard of her,” Kemper said. “She knows every secret. I told her before I told my mom.”
Fey and Kemper decided they would say she had a back injury, although Kemper wasn’t so great at upholding the ruse.
“I could not act like I had a back injury. I’m an actress, presumably. Someone would ask what’s wrong and words escaped me, like, ‘Oh, I sprained my spine.’ I’m a bad liar. I kept forgetting and doing things someone with a back injury couldn’t do. They’d yell ‘lunch’ and I’d leap up and cartwheel to catering. You’re not supposed to do that.”
Watch the full clip above. Season 2 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt hits Netflix April 15.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer