Tuesday was not a slow news day in the realm of superhero cinema. Ben Affleck declared that he’d be working on a standalone Batman film and, later, on Jimmy Kimmel Live, we got our first serious look at Doctor Strange, the forthcoming film about the lesser-known Marvel character.
Benedict Cumberbatch will play the eponymous doctor, an eminent neurosurgeon whose life is shattered after a car accident. He sets out on a globe-crossing journey to “find himself,” as it were, upon which he encounters a mystic known as the Ancient One (a bald Tilda Swinton).
The trailer, which you can watch above, is vague with regard to specific plot points but vivid in its imagery — we see a bearded Cumberbatch against the colorful backdrop of Southeast Asia and India and a city that looks like Hong Kong, images that skew towards the surreal.
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement