Tuesday was not a slow news day in the realm of superhero cinema. Ben Affleck declared that he’d be working on a standalone Batman film and, later, on Jimmy Kimmel Live, we got our first serious look at Doctor Strange, the forthcoming film about the lesser-known Marvel character.
Benedict Cumberbatch will play the eponymous doctor, an eminent neurosurgeon whose life is shattered after a car accident. He sets out on a globe-crossing journey to “find himself,” as it were, upon which he encounters a mystic known as the Ancient One (a bald Tilda Swinton).
The trailer, which you can watch above, is vague with regard to specific plot points but vivid in its imagery — we see a bearded Cumberbatch against the colorful backdrop of Southeast Asia and India and a city that looks like Hong Kong, images that skew towards the surreal.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com