Tuesday was not a slow news day in the realm of superhero cinema. Ben Affleck declared that he’d be working on a standalone Batman film and, later, on Jimmy Kimmel Live, we got our first serious look at Doctor Strange, the forthcoming film about the lesser-known Marvel character.
Benedict Cumberbatch will play the eponymous doctor, an eminent neurosurgeon whose life is shattered after a car accident. He sets out on a globe-crossing journey to “find himself,” as it were, upon which he encounters a mystic known as the Ancient One (a bald Tilda Swinton).
The trailer, which you can watch above, is vague with regard to specific plot points but vivid in its imagery — we see a bearded Cumberbatch against the colorful backdrop of Southeast Asia and India and a city that looks like Hong Kong, images that skew towards the surreal.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve