A major search-and-rescue operation is underway off the coast of North Carolina after a Navy sailor went missing from an aircraft carrier on Saturday afternoon.
The missing person is a female third-class petty officer, and though her next-of-kin has been notified, her identity has not yet been revealed publicly, the Navy Times reports. The woman was discovered to be missing from the USS Carter Hall around 4:20 p.m. on Saturday, and is presumed to have fallen overboard. A pair of boots and a note were reportedly found on the deck.
Several other ships and aircraft are involved in the search over a 4,500-square-mile-area, the Navy says.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization