A major search-and-rescue operation is underway off the coast of North Carolina after a Navy sailor went missing from an aircraft carrier on Saturday afternoon.
The missing person is a female third-class petty officer, and though her next-of-kin has been notified, her identity has not yet been revealed publicly, the Navy Times reports. The woman was discovered to be missing from the USS Carter Hall around 4:20 p.m. on Saturday, and is presumed to have fallen overboard. A pair of boots and a note were reportedly found on the deck.
Several other ships and aircraft are involved in the search over a 4,500-square-mile-area, the Navy says.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time