The trio of Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer, and Jorma Taccone, who will be seen on screen in the upcoming Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, performed a medley of Smith’s most memorable hits, including “Parents Just Don’t Understand,” “Summertime,” “Men in Black,” and “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It.”
Queen Latifah and Halle Berry were also on hand to celebrate Smith at the Movie Awards ceremony. Accepting the Generation Award, the actor joked that he thought it was code for “old-ass dude award.”
He also used his speech to reflect on his three-decade-long career. “I released my first record when I was 17. This June marks 30 years in this business for me. I really want to say I’m humbled, and I just want all of you to know I’m dedicated to being a light in this world. There’s a lot of suffering – a lot of people are suffering in this world. When you see my material, and when I present myself in public, and what I’m trying to build with my family and friends, I just want all of you to know I’m dedicated until I die to light and to love. So thank you all.”
Head here to see the full list of winners from the MTV Movie Awards, and watch the full Lonely Island performance below.
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive