Country music legend Merle Haggard died after a battle with double pneumonia Wednesday, his birthday. He had just turned 79. The singer, songwriter, and instrumentalist has influenced many country artists thanks to his decades-spanning career and standards like “Okie from Muskogee” and “Fightin’ Side of Me.”
“He was my brother, my friend. I will miss him,” Willie Nelson said in a statement to EW.
Toby Keith wrote, “The greatest singer songwriter of my lifetime is gone. Thanks for the music and friendship. R.I.P. Hag.”
Below, see more tributes from various country musicians and celebrities.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State