Normally, the snatching of a child from her bed at three in the morning is a story with an unhappy ending. But in Roald Dahl’s world, it means adventure for little orphan Sophie, played by Ruby Barnhill in Steven Spielberg’s forthcoming adaptation of The BFG. The official trailer, which follows up previously released teasers, offers a good look at the Big Friendly Giant himself, a CGI creation voiced by recent Oscar winner Mark Rylance.
Rylance’s giant is, as his name suggests, a good-natured one, and his kidnapping stems from benevolent aims. His world, called Giant Country, consists of shimmering upside-down trees, charmingly bad grammar and, as with any good fantastical land, some grumpy villains intent on creating some problems for the feisty little mortal.
The BFG, which hits theaters July 1, could well shape up to be one of this summer’s biggest family movies.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer