Normally, the snatching of a child from her bed at three in the morning is a story with an unhappy ending. But in Roald Dahl’s world, it means adventure for little orphan Sophie, played by Ruby Barnhill in Steven Spielberg’s forthcoming adaptation of The BFG. The official trailer, which follows up previously released teasers, offers a good look at the Big Friendly Giant himself, a CGI creation voiced by recent Oscar winner Mark Rylance.
Rylance’s giant is, as his name suggests, a good-natured one, and his kidnapping stems from benevolent aims. His world, called Giant Country, consists of shimmering upside-down trees, charmingly bad grammar and, as with any good fantastical land, some grumpy villains intent on creating some problems for the feisty little mortal.
The BFG, which hits theaters July 1, could well shape up to be one of this summer’s biggest family movies.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Eliza Berman at firstname.lastname@example.org