Normally, the snatching of a child from her bed at three in the morning is a story with an unhappy ending. But in Roald Dahl’s world, it means adventure for little orphan Sophie, played by Ruby Barnhill in Steven Spielberg’s forthcoming adaptation of The BFG. The official trailer, which follows up previously released teasers, offers a good look at the Big Friendly Giant himself, a CGI creation voiced by recent Oscar winner Mark Rylance.
Rylance’s giant is, as his name suggests, a good-natured one, and his kidnapping stems from benevolent aims. His world, called Giant Country, consists of shimmering upside-down trees, charmingly bad grammar and, as with any good fantastical land, some grumpy villains intent on creating some problems for the feisty little mortal.
The BFG, which hits theaters July 1, could well shape up to be one of this summer’s biggest family movies.
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time